Tuesday 16 August 2011

Birds of a Feather Cushion

Inspired by the beautiful bird panel by Julie Cairns, I designed and sewed this simple, graphic cushion weeks ago, and have only just managed to develop the pattern.  I used 3/4" black strips to frame the panel, and added blocks of complimentary colours.

Quilting this cushion was my favourite bit!  I chose to quilt the straight lines with a walking foot and then highlighted the birds, and quilted in swirls and leafy shapes in free motion.  Of course, this could be quilted equally well by hand. 



I then cut into the border print, using it on the top and bottom, and as the backing for the cushion.  I can see this cushion sitting on a chair in my garden when summer comes.  Maybe it will attract the birds. Bring on the sunshine!

2 comments:

e said...

that last little blue wren is gorgeous - such a deep colour. i hope it brings the sunshine too, we need it!

jen said...

Hi When i saw this panel I had to have it.It is so beautiful, the colours go so well together.
Thanks for the Hoot
Jen Hands